Indian dance trivia quiz
So, you LOVE Indian dances? Let’s find out how much you know about them!
1. Kolattam is a folk dance of Andhra Pradesh
1. The exact number cannot be determined, but giving that there are 28 states, and if each state has only 3-4 dance forms, that is already more than 100. Of course, some states have up to 10 dance forms, and do not forget about contemporary styles, which are also various....
1. Even though ghungroos are used as a dance prop, they are considered to be an instrument. Chhau is a dance form, derived from martial arts.
1. Abhinaya is the art of expression in Indian aesthetics, derived from Natya Shastra
1. Carnatic is a system of music commonly associated with southern India, with a main emphasis on vocal music and improvising.
1. They differ in shape and materials, since Kathak ghungroos are only bells on a string/rope, while for Bharat a soft cloth (usually velvet) pads are used.
1. Mujra girls were courtesans, who entertained the Mughal royalty
1. Kathak derives from a word „story“ and it translates as "the one who tells a story"
Once you fall in love with Indian dances, you will always want to learn more! It takes time and patience, but soon you will be amazed how easily you have gained the knowledge, just by doing the thing you love – going to dance classes!
You are on the right path, so keep on discovering more and more about diverse world of Indian dances! Your passion for Indian dances will certainly show on stage.
You are an expert on Indian dances! Researching the origin and history of dances will certainly help you perform more authentically. Never stop dancing, and sharing your knowledge!